About Sir Wilfred T. Grenfell
Ever wonder how Grenfell Campus got its name?
Grenfell Campus first opened its doors in 1975 as the Western Coast Regional College of Memorial University of Newfoundland. It wasn’t until 1979 that the college adopted its official name, honoring one of Newfoundland and Labrador’s most influential people. It is no surprise that the leaders of the college wished to name the institution after a man who was pivotal in the development of educational, social and medical infrastructure in northern and western Newfoundland.
Sir Wilfred Grenfell came from England in 1892 to investigate the lives of the people who fished "on the Labrador". He found poverty and destitution, and decided to change it. Through his tireless efforts – fund-raising, building hospitals, nursing stations, schools, and more – Dr. Grenfell enriched the lives of thousands of people.
In St. Anthony, a museum has been established in his original house, containing photographs and memorabilia of his life, and a statue in his honor stands in the town’s Grenfell Park. The hospital he constructed in 1924 still stands, and the International Grenfell Association, based in St. Anthony, continues his work.