Major in general science
Students completing the Major in General Science will complete a General Science Core. In addition, they will complete a minimum of 24 credit hours (or 18 credit hours in the case of Mathematics) in each of three streams chosen from Biology, Chemistry, Earth Systems, Mathematics or Physics. A student may not use the same course to satisfy the requirements of more than one stream. Students planning their course selection should be aware of the fact that most senior level science courses have one or more specified prerequisites.
The 120 credit hour, 40 course program may be completed on a full or part-time basis as set out under Bachelor of Science with Major in General Science.
A student must complete Core Program Requirements as outlined under Grenfell Campus Core Program Requirements.
A student must complete an approved concentration of courses known as a Major and elective courses to make up the required total of 40 courses, 120 credit hours.
A Minor is not required for this program.
General Science Core
- Mathematics 1000, 1001
- Physics 1050 (or 1020), 1051 (or 1021). Students in the Physics Stream require Physics 1050, 1051.
- Science 4000, 4950
General Science Streams
- Biology 1001, 1002
- Eighteen credit hours from Biology 2010, 2122, 2210, 2250, 2600, 3053, Environmental Science 3072, 3110, 3130, 3131, 4140 (or equivalent field course) where at least 6 credit hours must be beyond the 2000 level.
- Chemistry 1001, and 1200 (or equivalents), 2210, 2301 or 2302, 2400 and 2401, another 6 credit hours from Environmental Science 3210, 3211, 4240
- Earth Sciences 1000, 1001 or 1002
- Any 18 credit hours (six courses) from the following list, at least 6 credit hours of which are beyond the 2000 level: Environmental Studies 2000, 3001, Environmental Science 2360, 2369, 2370, 2371, 2430, 2450, 3072, 3470, 4069, 4479, Earth Sciences 2150, 3811.
- Mathematics 1000, 1001, 2000, 2050, 2320
- Nine additional credit hours beyond the 1000 level chosen from Mathematics or Statistics, at least 6 which must be beyond the 2000 level.
- Physics 1050, 1051, 2056, 2820, 3060, 3220
- Two of Physics 2053, 2151, 2400, 2553, 3160, 3180, Earth Sciences 2150, Environmental Science 2430, 2450, 3470, 4479
Students are encouraged to review the courses as outlined under Grenfell Campus Core Program Requirements, Breadth of Knowledge Requirement, Literacy Requirement, and Quantitative Reasoning and Analysis Requirement
Minor in general science
- The Minor in Science may be chosen in courses from the following disciplines: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Sciences, Environmental Science, Mathematics, Physics, Science, and Statistics. Students who have completed courses drawn from other Science disciplines must obtain approval of the Head of Science.
- Mathematics 1000
- 6 additional credit hours in first year science courses (At least 3 credit hours must be in a laboratory course chosen from any science discipline except mathematics).
- Five science courses beyond the 1000 level, at least 6 credit hours of which must be beyond the 2000 level. (Mathematics 1001 may be substituted for one of the 2000 level science courses).