Master of Fine Arts
The Grenfell Campus Master of Fine Arts (MFA), visual arts program delivers a blended learning/low residency program that can be completed in five or six semesters over a two-year period of study.
The program begins with an on-campus intensive during May and June of the spring semester followed by fall and winter terms completed in the student’s home community or at another campus of Memorial University with distance learning supervision and contact. Students return to Grenfell Campus for a second on-campus intensive the following spring. The final project is presented during the second fall, and/or winter term at Grenfell Campus, Memorial University. Our program is shaped by graduate students who seek a flexible delivery model and wish to engage in graduate research at more than one location: in their home and/or at a number of Memorial University Campuses or locations.
The Grenfell Campus Fine Arts building houses a print shop with intaglio, relief, screen printing, lithography, and digital print processes; a sculpture studio with a metal shop, wood shop, and ceramics; large, ventilated studios for fibres, painting, drawing and interdisciplinary practices; a traditional darkroom and fully colour managed digital facility, scanners and large format printers; and a Mac lab with sound, video, and imaging software.
The Grenfell Art Gallery is the university art gallery for Memorial University of Newfoundland. As a space of innovation, public engagement, and experiential learning it features a 2,000 sq. ft. climate controlled exhibition space and an active collection of contemporary and historical art, specializing in, but not limited to, the art of Newfoundland and Labrador. The Gallery has year round programming with a distinguished history of group and solo exhibitions featuring the work of regional, national and international artists, including Ursula Johnson, Jordan Bennett, Omar Badrin, Jerry Ropson, Greg Statts, Barb Hunt, and Will Gill, among others.
TUITION AND FUNDING
The School of Graduate Studies offers competitive fellowships to eligible students who are accepted into the MFA program. A portion of the funding is used to pay the current semester tuition and ancillary fees and any remaining amount is disbursed to the student. Graduate assistantships are also available. These will most often take place as research assistantships. In certain situations teaching assistantships may become available. Students will also be supported in pursuing external funding.
View the complete schedule of graduate fees.
HOW TO APPLY
01. A portfolio of support material in one of the three following forms:
(1) 20 high resolution images in JPEG or other standardized format.
(2) A total of 10 minutes in video or audio (MP4 or MOV format)
(3) A combination of both still images and video where one minute of video is equivalent to two images.
- All images, sound, or video files must be titled with applicant's first and last name and numbered in appropriate viewing order. (01FirstLast.jpg, 02FirstLast.jpg) Include an accompanying PDF document listing title, date, medium and dimensions of each image, video and/or audio file.
Submit portfolio as a PDF (with links to sound and/or videos) to graduate officer, email@example.com. Deadline: September 15, 2021.
02. A letter of intent (maximum 500 words)
03. A Curriculum Vitae
04. Two assessment reports or letters of reference
05. Applicants to the Master of Fine Arts, Visual Arts program will normally hold a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with a minimum overall B average or shall have equivalent professional visual arts experience that is acceptable to the Dean of Graduate Studies and to the School of Fine Arts. Applicants are required to submit transcripts for all previous post-secondary education and may also be required to submit a sample of their academic written work.
06. For applicants whose prior university instruction was not in English, demonstration of English language proficiency is required. These applicants must meet all the criteria as outlined in section 4.1 "Qualifications for Admission" of the Memorial University Calendar
How to submit your application
Deadline: September 15th
All applicants should apply online. Follow the instructions at the link below and additionally, submit your portfolio using WeTransfer to the Graduate Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.