Curatorial Assistant (YCW Program CMA)
a Young Canada Works position through Heritage Organizations. All applicants
must register and meet the eligibility requirements at https://young-canada-works.canada.ca/ in order to apply.
due: Thursday, May 21, 2020, 5:00 PM NST
Curatorial Assistant position and associated dates are subject to NL Provincial
Health Authority recommendations surrounding COVID-19 and the resulting closure
of Grenfell Campus. This position will be adapted to meet the changing
conditions of current public health measures and may involve in person and
remote work. If COVID-19 restrictions delays the completion of contract hours
during the summer, the position may be extended to part-time during the fall.
Grenfell Art Gallery is a public art gallery located on the Grenfell Campus of Memorial University in the city of Corner Brook on the picturesque coast of Western Newfoundland. As Memorial University's art gallery and the only gallery in Newfoundland and Labrador focused solely on the visual arts, Grenfell Art Gallery cultivates a generative engagement with art and art history through a year-round program of exhibitions and outreach activities that are accessible, relevant, and experimental. As an educational resource for the Visual Arts Program, Grenfell Campus, Memorial University and the public gallery for Corner Brook and the Western Newfoundland region the gallery engages in collaborative partnerships with like-minded local, regional, national and international artists, organizations and institutions.
closure of Grenfell Campus as a result of Public Health measures the Curatorial
Assistant will be expected to initially work from home during regular office
hours, with supervision and direction provided by digital means. The Curatorial
Assistant will meet regularly with Grenfell Art Gallery staff in digital space,
and will be provided with the necessary materials to fulfill their job
responsibilities while initially working remotely.
The Curatorial Assistant will be responsible for:
- Producing content and contributing to the development of Grenfell Art Gallery's digital platforms for ongoing and upcoming outreach and public program activities;
- Support the development of content-rich posts for multiple social media platforms;
- Assist with development of communications scheduling for all programs and publications including website and social media outreach updating the collections database;
- the ongoing digitization and documentation of the collection;
- supporting curatorial activity including exhibition takedown and installations, and exhibition development;
- and once reopened supporting the daily operations of the gallery.
successful candidate will possess the following:
- training in and a passion for the visual arts;
- be currently enrolled in full-time studies at a Visual Arts, Museum Studies or Collections Management program and returning to full-time studies in Fall 2020;
- very good interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English;
- intermediate research skills required;
- excellent writing skills;
- intermediate computer skills required for image/text processing and database entry;
- must be able to work methodically with high attention to detail ;
- must be able to work independently for periods of time;
- gallery/museum experience an asset though training will be provided;
- literacy in database, word-processing and spreadsheet software an asset;
- specialized knowledge of social media, digital programming and art studio practices an asset;
- interest in working with collections;
- and, experience working with and/or an understanding of collections will be considered an asset.
of assignment: June 3 to Aug 28 2020
deadline: May 21, 2020 5 pm NST.
for this position, please send via email to email@example.com, a letter of intent, a current
resume and the names of two references, under the subject line YCW-Curatorial
Assistant addressed to:
Brook, NL A2H 5G4