In an effort to reduce the number of people on campus, and minimize the spread of the COVID-19 virus, Counselling and Psychological Services (CPS) is offering mainly remote services at this time. To book a session, please call Health Services Reception at (709) 637-7919.
Please note: Tyler Pritchard, a pre-doctoral psychology resident has joined CPS and will be available to see students two afternoons per week. Some of you may already know Tyler, as he was a sessional instructor for the Psychology Program in the Fall 2021.
Looking to book a session through Counselling & Psychological Services (CPS) at Grenfell?
We understand these are difficult times for everyone, and want you to know that we are here to listen. If you are a Grenfell student and would like to speak with a Counsellor, here are the steps to book an appointment with Jennifer, Jessica, or Tyler:
- Call our Receptionist, Kristi at 709-637-7919 and she will book you in for a time that works for your schedule
- If your call goes to voicemail, please leave a detailed message including your name, phone number, and Counsellor you would like to see (if you have a preference)
- Kristi will call you back within one business day.
All remote counselling sessions are offered via WebEx and the link will be provided once you confirm the appointment.
While you wait for your appointment, here are some other resources you might find helpful:
- You can contact our friendly youth worker, Dave Jones, who has worked with Grenfell students for the past several years. If you would like to chat virtually or meet up with Dave to have a confidential talk about how you’re feeling, he can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are concerned for a friend's safety and they live on campus, you can call CEP to do a “wellness check” at any time 637-6210.
- Students can avail of a 24/7 Mental Health Crisis Line at 1-888-737-4668
- Students and allies of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community can avail of the following resources:
- LGBTQ Youth Line (29 and under): 1-800-268-9688 or text: 647-694-4275
- Trans Lifeline: 1-877-330-6366
- FIRST NATIONS &INUIT HOPE FORWELLNESS HELPLINE
- Doorways Single-session, walk-in counselling services are available 5 days a week in Corner Brook. You can contact them by calling 634-4506.
- The Mobile Crisis Response Team is available seven days a week from 10 AM to 10 PM and can be reached by calling 911 or the Corner Brook RCMP 709-637-4100.
- There are online self-help options for mental health through www.bridgethegapp.ca
- There is a Mental Health Liaison nurse at Western Memorial Regional Hospital 4 PM – midnight every day. A student can check-in at outpatients and let the triage nurse know they are there to see the mental health liaison nurse who is trained in working with people struggling with depression, anxiety, psychosis, drug/alcohol addiction, etc. They are also connected to the Psychiatrist on call.
We are all here at Grenfell to help you succeed academically and mentally, so please reach out if you are feeling like you need some extra help.
Take care and remember to breathe.
Jennifer, Jessica, and Tyler
Counselling & Psychological Services
Psychological Services Update: March 12, 2021
Counselling and Psychological Services (CPS) supports the mental health and well-being of students through the provision of clinical services and educational programs.
Grenfell Campus is committed to the provision of psychological and counselling services to its students. These services are delivered by mental health professionals at no cost. Information is confidential - what is said between the mental health professional and client stays between them.
Individual and/or group sessions are offered to students experiencing personal difficulties that interfere with their ability to function at their desired level. Psychoeducational screening is available to students through CPS.
CPS provides consultation to staff and faculty who may be concerned about a student. Programs are available for faculty and staff to address their own personal issues, through Human Resources.
CPS is located in Health Services (BW 243) on the 2nd (main) floor of the Bennett Wing, Arts and Science Residence.
Jennifer Broadbent, B.Comm (Co-op), B.Ed, M.Ed (Counselling Psychology), C.C.C
Canadian Certified Counsellor
BW242 | email@example.com |
Jessica J. Webster, B.S.W., R.S.W., N.D.,
Art therapist in training
Registered Social Worker
BW224 | firstname.lastname@example.org