▼ eResources

Grenfell Campus
Menu Button
Default Interior

Info for Counselling Students

Become an Agent


Students looking to study abroad often come with a variety of questions and concerns. The information on this page will help you advise students and provide them with the correct information needed to apply for their program, come to Canada, and to begin their academic career at Grenfell Campus.

Although this page is meant to be as comprehensive as possible, there is always the possibility that a student’s situation may require further information or guidance. For all questions related to university policy or for assistance with a specific student’s case, please contact April Crocker at acrocker@grenfell.mun.ca

Admission Requirements

Admission requirements will depend on the curriculum in which a student completed their studies. For a full list of curricula and to determine if a student you are counselling is eligible, please refer to this list. Depending on the program for which an undergraduate student is applying, up to one required subject from the previous link may be waivable. For Business, we can typically waive Math or Science. If you are working with a student and require assistance determining their eligibility, please contact acrocker@grenfell.mun.ca.

Please be advised that the requirements in the previous link are for general admission programs only. If a student is applying for a competitive entry program such as Fine Arts, Nursing, or Engineering One, simply meeting the entry requirements may not be enough to grant the student admission to the faculty. For students who apply to Nursing or Engineering, there is a 2-stage assessment. First, the student will be reviewed for general admission to the Bachelor of Science (BSc.), and then they will be assessed separately for faculty admission. A student who is accepted in the first stage but rejected in the second will be able to begin their studies as a BSc. student and then apply to transfer into their desired faculty afterwards. Although a lower academic threshold is not set for these programs, they do typically require a minimum of 85% in the students’ terminal-year Chemistry and Biology courses for Nursing and in Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics for Engineering. 

For further information on competitive entry programs, please refer to the following pages:

Application Process

The full application process is outlined here. Upon completion of the online application, students will be required to submit their documents, which typically includes their transcripts and if applicable, proof of English proficiency. Details on how to submit documents are provided here. As per the previous link, please ensure that all submission requirements are followed very carefully, as self-submitted documents typically cannot be used to evaluate a student for admission. Additionally, please ensure that the student self-submits their information release form as admissions will not accept waivers received directly from agents.

Once a student’s documents are officially received, they will be verified by the admissions team and the application will be placed in queue for review. While processing times may vary throughout the year, typical processing times are usually in the range of 10 to 21 business days. Upon completion of the review, the student will receive their letter of offer via email. Please ensure that the student also checks their junk/SPAM folder, as our correspondence may be shuffled there incidentally.

If a student meets the admission requirements and has applied using their predicted or provisional grades, they will receive a conditional letter of offer, which can be used to apply for a study permit. In that letter, they will also be provided with a list of required documents needed to change their status from provisional to final acceptance. Once a student has their final letter of offer, they will be asked to pay a non-refundable $300 deposit via the application portal. Details on paying this deposit can be found here.

Money Matters

Tuition and Fees

Tuition for students starting in September 2023 will be charged at a rate of $2,080 CAD per credit course plus a 4% annual increase each September thereafter. For students taking 5 courses per semester and 2 semesters per year, this will typically amount to $20,800 for their first year of studies, plus a 4% increase each year after the first. Factoring in a student’s tuition, ancillary fees, meals, accommodations, books, supplies, and daily living expenses, we typically recommend a budget of $30-35,000 CAD for one academic year (September to April). If a student is intending on staying in Canada during the Spring/Summer, we would advise budgeting for an additional $4000-6000 CAD to cover basic living expenses during that period. A further breakdown of tuition and fees is provided here.

If a student is required to pay their first year’s fees in advance (ex. as a visa requirement), they can do so via any of the methods found here. Otherwise, all fees are paid on a semesterly basis and have a due date of the first day of class each semester. Charges will appear on a student’s MUN Self-Service account once they have registered for courses for the semester. If a student misses the payment deadline, a $75 CAD late fee will be applied to their account. Additionally, if a student has outstanding fees on their account, they will be unable to register for courses for the following semester. 

NOTE: Fees are approved by the University’s Board of Regents. In the event of a discrepancy between the fees approved by the Board and those published on this website, the fees approved by the Board will prevail. Financial policies are enforced through the Office of Financial and Administrative Services. For the complete and official list of all fees and charges, visit www.mun.ca/finance/fees/.

All figures are in Canadian dollars and subject to change. Students are responsible for being aware of all fees and charges, and applicable deadlines, by referring to the University Calendar and the University Diary. The University Calendar is the final authority on university regulations.


Students applying to Memorial University are automatically evaluated for scholarship status when they apply. International entrance scholarships are non-renewable and offered only on admission. These scholarships are competitive and based solely on a student’s academic merit (i.e., other factors such as extra-curriculars and financial need are not considered). Although a lower academic threshold is not set for these scholarships, a student would typically require a minimum of 90% in order to be considered for scholarship status. Additionally, because the scholarships are competitive and limited, meeting the 90% minimum does not necessarily guarantee that a student will be scholarship eligible. Preference for scholarships will be granted to students who apply before March 1. Students who have completed more than 30 post-secondary credits prior to transferring to Grenfell will be ineligible for entrance scholarships.

Beyond a student’s first year, further scholarships may become available. Approximately $120,000 in combined scholarships are awarded annually at Grenfell Campus. 

Other Common Questions

A student I’m counselling has completed some post-secondary education and is looking to transfer their credits to Grenfell. What is the process for this?
Unless a student is applying through an established articulation agreement, the credit transfer process is not automatic. Students must submit individual course syllabi for all credits they wish to have transferred to MUN, as outlined in detail here

If a student does not meet the English proficiency requirements, what options do they have?
Students who fall below the English requirement for general admission will be eligible to complete our English as a Second Language (ESL) bridging program, which is outlined here. When filling their general application, the student should indicate their intention to complete ESL bridging when asked how they will demonstrate their English proficiency. The student will also need to submit a separate ESL application. Upon having their applications reviewed, the student will receive a provisional letter of acceptance to Grenfell Campus, which they can use for the purpose of obtaining their study permit. Their final letter of acceptance will be granted upon successful completion of ESL. 

For further details of the ESL program, please contact our ESL coordinator, Ms. Melissa Halford at mhalford@grenfell.mun.ca.

My student wants to study at MUN, but they have opted for the St. John’s Campus. Can I still claim commission for this student?
If a student wishes to study at the St. John’s Campus, but you as their agent have signed a Grenfell-exclusive contract, then no, you cannot claim commission for the student if they are enrolled at the St. John’s Campus.

If the student’s program is available at either campus and the student begins their studies at Grenfell, then you can claim up to two semesters of commission for the student, provided that they are enrolled full-time at Grenfell for both semesters. Depending on the program in which a student is interested, you may encourage them to take their first year at the Grenfell Campus before switching to St. John’s, however, be advised that not all programs can be started at Grenfell. If a student is interested in a St. John’s-exclusive program that cannot be started at Grenfell, do not advise them to start at Grenfell Campus. If you are unsure if a student is eligible to start at Grenfell then switch to St. John’s, please contact acrocker@grenfell.mun.ca for clarification.

My student wants to work part-time while studying. What are their options for doing so?
Full-time international students in Canada may be eligible to work depending on the conditions of their study permits. As an international student, it is the student's responsibility to familiarize themselves with the conditions of their study permits, however, if they are unsure or if they have questions about their eligibility to work, they can book an immigration advising appointment through international@grenfell.mun.ca.

Grenfell offers a wide variety of on-campus employment opportunities, including but not limited to:
  • Lab assistants (including both science and language [French] labs)
  • English as a Second Language discussion and recreation leaders
  • Security, Bartending, and Event Hosting (including karaoke, trivia, and open mic) at the campus bar
  • Library assistants
  • Various office assistants (housing, bookstore, bursar's office, Registrar's office)
  • Residence and chalet advisors (these roles are strictly limited to students in 2nd year and beyond who have lived in residence for at least one year)
  • Research assistants in most faculties/departments
  • Cleaning staff for both the campus bar and dining hall
  • Tutoring and TA roles in most departments

While it is possible to obtain on-campus employment during a student’s first semester, it is typically more common to obtain these jobs once a student has familiarized themselves with the campus and gotten acquainted with the staff and faculty at Grenfell. Obtaining these roles may be based on a standard application/interview process, though it is also possible to be hand-selected for these roles by faculty/staff based on a student’s volunteer history, classroom participation, or academic record.

As a student's agent representative, can I submit documents on the student's behalf and have them considered official by admissions?
No, as per the document submission requirements, all documents will typically need to be submitted by their issuing authority to be considered official. All documents submitted digitally by their issuing authority should come directly from an institutional email address verifiable from the student's school's website. Once received from the issuing authority by the admiss.docs@mun.ca inbox, documents are verified by the admissions team, usually within 10-14 business days (Mon-Fri, exclusive of holidays). Once processed, students will be notified by email of their document confirmation. 

In exceptional cases where a school or educational authority is unable or unwilling to provide these documents, please contact acrocker@grenfell.mun.ca for case-specific instructions on how a student may proceed with their application. As a reminder, agents also cannot submit the student's agent representative form as this must come directly from the student themselves from the email that they used when submitting their application. 

Other questions?

For all other questions or concerns related to a particular student’s case or university policy/practices in general, please contact April Crocker at acrocker@grenfell.mun.ca.

Office of Student Recruitment

Grenfell Campus, Memorial University of Newfoundland
20 University Drive, Corner Brook, NL
A2H 5G4, Canada

Phone: (709) 637-6269
Email: study@grenfell.mun.ca

Grenfell Logo

© Grenfell Campus, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Corner Brook, NL Canada Toll Free 1-888-637-6269

Privacy Policy    Login    Library    Sitemap    Site Feedback    Contact

Grenfell Logo

© Grenfell Campus, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Corner Brook, NL Canada. Toll Free 1-888-637-6269

Privacy Policy




Site Feedback